July 27, 2012

❤Creme brûlée meets Cupcake a love story❤



     So after thinking of ideas to bake and blog about, it came to me... today is national creme brûlée day! I thought... hey,  I love creme brûlée and I love cupcakes!  Even more so after our recent BFF trip to San Francisco for our Cupcake Crawl- which we promise to do more of and report back to you with our sampling of various bakeries and sweets from the Bay Area. We treated ourselves to some creme brûlée cupcakes from Bristol Farms and I knew I wanted to try to duplicate them.  Regrettably we didn't take pics but let me deconstruct those bad boys for you, it was a simple moist white cake (my taste buds were screaming boxed, oh well ) The saving grace of the cupcake, the topping! It was adorned with a delicious creme brûlée and it was amaaazzing.  I knew I had to try my hand at Creme brûlée cupcakes again.  I  attempted these about a year ago but with a chocolate cupcake and yes they were freakin good but I wanted to try a new more classic take.  So off I went to whip these babies up.


Start with your favorite vanilla or caramel cupcake recipe or box cake bake & cool.


Next whip up your favorite creme brûlée recipe I used Alton Browns.

Fill large pastry bag fitted with large round tip with buttercream(recipe follows)and frost. Sprinkle cupcakes with sugar and using a kitchen torch caramelize sugar.
Brown Sugar Swiss Meringue Buttercream
1 cup light brown sugar
4 egg whites
¼ teaspoon salt
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature

Put sugar, egg whites and salt into the top of a double boiler over a pan of simmering water. Whisking constantly, cook until sugar has dissolved and mixture is warm. Pour heated egg whites into the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment. Beat egg white mixture on high speed until it forms stiff peaks. Continue beating until fluffy and cooled, about 7 minutes total. Switch to the paddle attachment. With mixer on medium-low, add butter two tablespoons at a time, beating well after each addition. Increase speed to medium-high continue beating until frosting appears thick, about 3 minutes. Reduce speed to low and continue beating 1 minute to reduce air bubbles.
,

No comments:

Post a Comment